Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default balanced flues

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I was looking at Grant boilers and see that they can have either
conventional flues or balanced flues. They do chimney lining kits but
the balanced option is £600+ whereas the conventional flue version is
£200+; that's a big difference. Is there any advantage to paying the
extra for a balanced flue or would you go conventional?

I had a couple of quotes and the plumbers seem to favour the cheaper
option.

I understand with conventional flues you have to be careful with
extractor fans. The brochure says the fans have to be installed to
BSxxxx. We have a fan and a cooker hood so what does BS xxxx involve?
Where can I find and read it?

Thanks.
Stephen.

My own (non-expert) opinion would be to go with a balanced flue. Over 20
years I have had problems with Corgi guys (and BG) challenging my
ventilation. Standards may have changed since original installation and I
had to bring in some extra ducting of air. Always an issue for me.