Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default "'D' profile Gear bore Forming?

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:36:04 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Good suggestions so far. Grassyass. The original gear is nylon. I
replaced the Nema17 stepper in the application with a much more
powerful N17 double stack motor. I ground the flat onto the new
motor's shaft, to match the original, then determined the nylon hub
will not take the torque.

Just out of curiosity, did the determination involve a finite element
analysis on the nylon molding or did you just slap it on and watch it
merrily split apart?

Thus, new gear.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:37:12 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Have a project, need a gear for a stepper with .187" Dia D shaft. I can
make the gear; are there broaches for forming the pilot bore? Seems
there would be a bazillion different ones, depending on the width of the
flat.
Else, how to?
JR
Dweller in the cellar