Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

Mark wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:28:47 -0400, S Viemeister

An intermediate solution is to make maternity wards much more like
home where you are provided with the full spectum of choice for birth
so it becomes more attractive to mothers to be.

I was lucky enough to have my second child in such a maternity ward.
I was considered at high risk, due to age and a previous Caesarean, so
home birth was out of the question, but the facilities provided were the
next best thing. We had the use of two rooms - one was a small, nicely
decorated sitting room, with rocking chairs, TV, and reading material;
the other looked like a very nice bedroom, with a brass bedstead,
patterned sheets, art on the walls, another rocking chair, etc. It had
its own shower room, too. But - behind the cupboard doors, was every
piece of equipment that might be needed in an emergency, the end of the
bed could swing away, and leg supports could be fitted.
As it happened, I had a normal, unmedicated birth - and I think the
stress-free environment had something to do with it.

I'm glad this worked for you. IMHO a nicely decorated hospital room
is better than one that resembles a torture chamber but no substitute
for home.

It was also quiet and private - my husband and I had the place to
ourselves most of the time, although staff checked my progress, and were
certainly present in the final stages of labour. We were not turfed out
immediately, either. No labour roomdelivery roomrecovery
roomhospital room, shifting about - I was in the same place for more
than 24 hours - it was a very long labour - and I didn't have to clean
up after myself.
Had I been younger, without a previous emergency c-section, I would
definitely have considered home birth.