dg

Default fireplace opening - lintel needed?

If these bricks are part of the flue, then you should recall the fitters to
sort it out.

dg

"Tim Hardisty" wrote in message
We had a "hole in the wall" gas fire fitted a week or so ago, which
involved (the fitters) enlarging the builders opening (upwards).

Stripping the wallpaper today above the new fireplace surround, and
some old plaster dropped away. I can see that the two bricks spanning
across the 18" opening are not supported by a lintel or steel bar, and
are drooping due to the mortar having crumbled. The row above are
fine. The bricks will drop onto the fire if I do not do something.

Is it acceptable to not have a lintel or band? I can re-mortar the
bricks in (less hassle than calling them back) but if there should be
a lintel I will obviously get on the blower!

Any thoughts?

Tim Hardisty.
Remove HAT before replying