Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default link belts for Grizzly 1023S

dpb wrote:
Garland wrote:
Don't agree at all. Each link is die-cut and each one is exactly the
same.
After some wear-in and re-tensioning, I'm betting that all 3 belts
will be
very close, probably as close as many matched sets of v-belts.

You got fabrication spec's for that?

(Not necessarily arguing, I've never seen them touted as for use w/
multi-sheave drives.)

Thinking about the process further, depending on what the actual
manufacturing process tolerances are and the type of process error that
prevails, I could actually see where the link belt might actually be
self-correcting. If, the tolerances are consistent and independently
distributed from piece to piece or are selected randomly there's at
least a reasonable chance the errors would tend to the mean as
1/sqr(num_links). So, perhaps they would actually do a better job of
matching than my first gut feel indicated.

Still haven't found a reason for them, specifically, but that's a
different question...