CW

Default Jointer question

This is normal. There is nothing for the second side to reference from. Why
would it be parallel to the first side?
"Fred McClellan" wrote in message
Hi all . . .

Yes, I don't know squat about jointers.

Never had a jointer before, and the only real reason I got it is
because I happened on a mother load of balsa in an estate sale. It's
all rough cut oversize, and I thought the jointer would be useful in
cleaning up the balsa, one of these days.

It's a Delta table top. Not a 'real' jointer, I know.

Read the book (such as it is), jumped through the hoops to check the
blades, and had to shim the output table so it was flat and even with
the input table when the cutter is cranked down below zero.

If I lay a metal straight edge across both tables, it rests flat all
along it's length. No gaps, no high spots.

I think that was ok to do.

Jointed the edge on a few balsa planks just to make sure the thing
worked (I build giant scale radio controlled model aircraft).

Trying to build the David Marks torsion box to use as a building
surface for major model airplane structures. The current model has a
6' fuselage, so I'm making the torsion box 30" x 6'. Anything larger
will eat too much floor space in my "shop".

Got the materials (the BORG ripped the MDF to 30" for me) ready to
cut.

First step is joint 2"x4"s to make a flat work surface to build the
tension box _on_.

Played with a bit of scrap 2x4, and don't understand what's going on.

I ran the 2x through on 1/32" depth until the edge of the 2x was
square over the length. Just playing, mind you.

Flipped the scrap 2x to the other edge and did the same thing.

Now the 2x is visibly tapered end-to-end.

I know the destructions for the torsion box say to joint one edge and
rip the other parallel, and that's not the problem.

I just don't understand why the scrap 2x wound up being very obviously
tapered.

Not feeding it correctly ? Failed to maintain constant down force ?

The scrap wasn't tapered before jointing, at least not that I could
see. It was 'semi-ok' scrap, nothing real ugly, ordinary borgstuff.

Or, is this a normal result of jointing both edges of a piece of wood
? The nature of the beast, as it were ?
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com