Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Code question on generator grounding

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:55:34 -0400, wrote Re Code
question on generator grounding:

I did this in my previous house before interlock kits were available. It
was not hard and worked very well. After checking the cost of the kits
(ridiculous!) I plan to do it again, esp. since I have two 200 Amp panels,
the kits would cost $300 to $400 depending on where you bought them.

You have two 200A panels in one house? Or is one of the panels in a
work shop building?

I had a 6KW gen hooked up this way before. Had a 21 day power outage and
another 10+ day power outage and never a moment's trouble and no overloads
of tripped breakers occurred. Saved a lot of $$$ on fuel by not having a
huge generator.

I've have a similar configuration and experience with a couple of 10+
day outages.