Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default "'D' profile Gear bore Forming?

On Sep 8, 1:37*pm, JR North wrote:
Have a project, need a gear for a stepper with .187" Dia D shaft. I can
make the gear; are there broaches for forming the pilot bore? Seems
there would be a bazillion different ones, depending on the width of the
flat.
Else, how to?
JR
Dweller in the cellar
* * * * Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
* * * *If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
* * *Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive
* The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me
* * *No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

You could broach a key slot and press the key against the D with the
setscrew. Make the key a light / medium press fit in its slot and the
gear shouldn't shift. A key this small can be adjusted to fit with a
small hammer.

Jim Wilkins