Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

wrote:
On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout

Alternatively you'll put an enormous strain on the local midwifery service
by having a team of midwives on call 24 hours a day (at something like 50p
per hour for the time they are at home and on call for you)

b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)

go to a decent hospital where you may well have a bath in your room

c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.
d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored

You can get up and do what you want in a well managed labour ward

e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)

f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

My wife's had three great experiences delivering in hospital.

As a midwife she has also been out and delivered many babies successfully at
home. But the vast majority of the public simply do not realise what a
strain home births place on an understaffed service.

Having had three children, I've heard lots of women's experiences of
birth and I've rarely (actually maybe even never, I can't think of
one) heard a positive account of a **normal** hospital birth and have

My wife had three very good experiences, but she will be the first to admit
that she had an easy time in comparison to the majority of women.

1. went into hospital about 11.00, had a bath delivered around 3 went home
at 6.00. Pain relief gas and air
2. pretty similar to number 1. Dropped our 2 year old into nursery about
12.00, delivery at about 4. home by 7
3. in at 8.00 in the evening delivered at 3 in the morning. Stayed in until
the next evening.

All were normal births, gas and air for pain relief and delivery by the midwife.

At least now you've heard a positive account.

best wishes for your own delivery this time around and I hope all goes well.