Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil again Phil again is offline

Default Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:13:53 -0700, samueltilden wrote:

We are remodeling our bathroom and I want the "old fashioned" two
faucets: one for hot and the other for cold.

Both the plumber and the plumbing supply company say that two faucets
have been declared illegal and that we must, by law, use the one faucet
(for both hot and cold) in the shower. They say that the legislature
mandated one faucet in case someone flushed the toilet and somebody else
is taking a shower.

Only my wife (of 30 years) and I live at home and, duh, we know when the
other is showering or using the toilet. We knock on the wall or simply
ask, "may I flush?"

Yes, I have used the one faucet shower (e.g., hotels) and have a strong
preference for the two faucet shower.

Now, is it really true that some legislature has actually outlawed two
faucets in a shower?

If so, which legistature (e.g., federal, state, county)? I need to see
this in writing.

P.S. I can understand mandating safe electricity practices, of course,
but faucets in a shower?

Thanks.

Don't know your state, but other locations don't have that restrictions
as far as I can discover from a quick Internet search. Several Plumbing
supply houses on Internet still sell 3 handle tub faucets just fine from
in-house stock.

You are just remodeling, not new construction on a new bathroom so I
don't see why you don't qualify for grandfather clause.

By the way, a scald guard can be place in the copper line going from the
diverter valve to the shower head. It is a just one more thing to fail
in the future so you have to take out some drywall.