Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plan and measurments

Elrond Hubbard wrote in
.45:

The one real advantage of the U.S. system is that it allows for nicely
graded levels of precision. Each successive division of the unit
doubles the precision, whereas the metric system increases precision
by a factor of 10 - not necessarily to advantage in construction.

If I'm laying out a foundation, I can work to the nearest 1/4".
Squaring up the deck, 1/8". Framing walls are measured to th 16th,
and trim details to the 32nd. The divisions are clearly delineated on
the tape. Metric gives me the choice of centimeters and millimeters -
using anything in between means counting millimeters on the tape, a
sure source of error.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar -

Scott

Why don't metric rules emphasize every 5th mark? That way, you could at
least work to 1/2 cm, if you so choose. Anybody who can't do 5+5 and get
10 probably shouldn't be allowed to measure stuff anyway.

If you look at a customary rule, the 1" mark is the longest, 1/2" the
next, 1/4" (increments) the next, and so on. It makes measuring quite a
bit faster than counting all those lines.

Puckdropper