Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 08:12:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On 7 Sep, 00:02, "The Medway Handyman"
a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout

But not the attention of a fully staffed NHS unit with access to every
possible resoursce you might need.

There are plenty of hospital maternity units that don't have
pediatrics / anaesthestatists / obstetricians, the NHS advocates this
type of non-medical environment for normal births. Access to those
things is available, just not in the same building.

Or not even within miles, as in the case here.

b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)

And its 'trendy'. *You have endless material to bore the arse off people at
dinner parties when you talk about your 'birthing experience'.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. Maybe elsewhere in the
country.. where I live it's not popular or 'trendy' at all (about one
home birth a month in the county), I've not discussed it at all with
most of my friends and virtually all of the people I work with day-to-
day have no idea where I plan to have my baby.

c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.

But if anything goes toes up you cause the NHS sh*t loads of extra time &
expense.

I don't really understand that, why would anything go wrong at home
that wouldn't have gone wrong in hospital.. causing exactly the same
expense apart from maybe an ambulance journey. It's still cheaper for
the NHS overall. Home births are cheaper to the NHS than hospital
births
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/homebirt...average%20cost

d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

Grow up & get used to it FFS. *Our NHS isn't perfect but it's probably the
best in the world. *The nature of the *beast is that you become a number.

I have nothing against the NHS. The NHS is very supportive of home
births and midwives are part of the NHS too. Giving birth is very
different to other hospital procedures, your body does it itself, the
hospital doesn't (and shouldn't) 'make it happen' unless there's a
serious problem.

Having missed a few posts in this thread I'm not sure I get the point
about the NHS. You can have NHS midwives at a homebirth. We did for
two of our children.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org