Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:28:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I was appalled by a friend's son, a very senior obstetrician at a famous
hospital, who said that he wanted women to do what he wanted because he
wanted to be in control.

Yep all deliveries should be M-F 9-5 so they can have the weekends off to
play golf.

He had no concept of the woman being in control!

The woman isn't in control the baby is via hormones IIRC. Our two were
both induced hospital births but that was down to the mother being rather
old 40 and suffering high blood pressure. The 1st was a long hard battle
with about the only thing not used being a cesarian. The second was much
easier, one shot of pethidine early on and gas & air for the rest.

For a young healthy mother with a normal pregnancy there is no real reason
to go to hospital, pregnancy and child birth are not an illness. FFS if it
was routinely life threatening we would have died out eons ago and there
wouldn't be the big families and huge population grown in the third world
where they don't have our "essential" medical care.

--
Cheers
Dave.