Posted to sci.electronics.repair
WJW WJW is offline

Default Help Question: Electronic stethoscope danger

Yukio...with our electronic digital stethoscope, the microbattery & cpu unit is
actually in the diagphram head...in short, the stethoscope head is the brains.
It still uses the rubber-like tubing to the ear pieces so the danger is not the
person wearing it...but the person whom the stethoscope is placed against &
being listening to.

William

"Yukio YANO" wrote in message
PeterD wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 04:09:24 GMT, Yukio YANO wrote:

WJW wrote:
Hello...a quick question looking for a good suggestion/solution/answer,

1) I have a small rural nursing school;
2) I have a $500 electronic stethoscope (micro-battery powered) that can
hear/play/record sounds using an I-Pod by using a direct wire/plug into the
I-Pod external microphone jack;
3) I-Pod sounds are very weak and you have to be within inches to hear the
sound during playback;
4) I need a room full of 10 students to hear the sounds from the
stethoscope;
5) I connected it to a wall-plug store-bought powered I-Pod speaker sound
system and it worked great...everybody in room could hear the sounds fine!;
6) Was then informed it could possibly be a major shock hazard (110 power
from wall through speakers to stethoscope to person wearing (ear pieces)
and to patient's chest (diaphragm);
7) So...now I'm back to Step 1 & 2...

Any suggestions on how I could truly prevent a surge danger for under $100
bucks so that I can safely use the stethoscope and the powered speaker
system? Would an automotive quick-jump power pack with 110 inverter work or
would the danger still be present? Is there really even a danger in the
first place?

Thank you very much for your wisdom, advice and expertise!

William in Colorado

Just isolate the patient electro-mechanically from the stethoscope by
placing the probe in a Plastic Baggie. The probe is most likely Plastic or
Bakelite with a plastic or rubber hose anyway, A thin layer of plastic
sheeting will not affect the acoustics !

Yukio YANO

Let's say you were the patient... Would you wnat your life to depend
on a plastic baggie? I don't think so.

The correct solutions (either battery operated, or proper medical
device) has been given.

Surgeons have been doing this for generations, only they call them surgical
gloves !

Standard, "conventional" stethoscopes were always electrically isolated from
the probe tip by rubber tubing .

If it was in the middle of a epidemic I would insist that a NEW baggie be
placed on the Probe Tip .

Where are you going to find and afford this Medical device !

Yukio YANO