Posted to sci.electronics.repair
WJW WJW is offline

Default Help Question: Electronic stethoscope danger

Ross...good idea but not an option because we want the sound heard by
all...approximately 15 people at a time. We already have and use dual & triple
stethoscopes but they mean the task has to be repeated over and over whereas if
we could just broadcast for all to hear at once...presto!

William

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 05:59:07 -0600, "WJW" wrote:

:Hello...a quick question looking for a good suggestion/solution/answer,
:
:1) I have a small rural nursing school;
:2) I have a $500 electronic stethoscope (micro-battery powered) that can
:hear/play/record sounds using an I-Pod by using a direct wire/plug into the
:I-Pod external microphone jack;
:3) I-Pod sounds are very weak and you have to be within inches to hear the
sound
:during playback;
:4) I need a room full of 10 students to hear the sounds from the stethoscope;
:5) I connected it to a wall-plug store-bought powered I-Pod speaker sound
system
:and it worked great...everybody in room could hear the sounds fine!;
:6) Was then informed it could possibly be a major shock hazard (110 power
from
:wall through speakers to stethoscope to person wearing (ear pieces) and to
atient's chest (diaphragm);
:7) So...now I'm back to Step 1 & 2...
:
:Any suggestions on how I could truly prevent a surge danger for under $100
bucks
:so that I can safely use the stethoscope and the powered speaker system?
:Would an automotive quick-jump power pack with 110 inverter work or would the
:danger still be present? Is there really even a danger in the first place?
:
:Thank you very much for your wisdom, advice and expertise!
:
:William in Colorado

You could buy a medical grade 120V/120V isolation transformer to power your
speakers from but that will still be fairly expensive but you will probably
have
to sort out the socket outlet for the plug-pack. You would still have the
problem that somebody could unwittingly operate the system without using the
transformer. Not a problem if you are the only one looking after and using the
equipment.

Ideally, you need equipment suitable for a teaching environment.
eg. http://www.stethoscope.com/index.cfm...&ProductID=132

If the cost seems high then you will at least be supremely confident that
nobody
will have their safety threatened, and that can save a lot of worry about
lawsuits.