Posted to sci.electronics.repair
WJW WJW is offline

Default Help Question: Electronic stethoscope danger

Archon...Good idea but I can not tell if the Belkin requires the cigarette plug
or can it operate independently with internal batteries?

William

"Archon" wrote in message
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:09:04 -0600, "WJW" wrote:

In actuality...all the I-Pod does is play/record sound (and not very well
due to the frequency/tones of heartbeat & pulse)...so...the digital
stethoscope is self amplified and could operate without the I-Pod if I had a
battery powered stand alone speaker system I could plug into directly with
the scope...or as you suggested (great idea), a wireless transmitter that
could then relay the signal to a good powerful receiver. Any suggestions
(brand/model) along either line?

Nothing specific. Google for "battery powered speaker". Lots of
hits. I would be tempted to suggest a battery power boom box or karaoke box.
What I'm worried about it that someone is going to run it with the
stethescope while charging the internal batteries. Too big a risk, so
we're back to wireless again.

Look at the wireless microphones available for persentations. They're
usually in the commercial sound business sites. While most have a
built in microphone, there are a few that allow external mics. They're
unfortunately kinda pricy. You might do better with wireless speakers
that are made to run off a hi-fi. You didn't supply any interface
specifications, but if the stethescope puts out home hi-fi line levels
(about 0dBm), one of these should work.

I gotta run, but I'll see if I can find something later today.

This would hopefully suit you, they are available in Walmart and work quite
well, I had one on my mp3 player in my car for ages due to my CD player being
bust. All you need is your radio boombox tuned to the transmit signal.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166903