Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker DLT Steve Barker DLT is offline

Default Adding whole house fan

If it vibrates, it needs to be taken back and a GOOD one purchased. The fan
doesn't need any attachment, only to sit on a half inch of foam
weatherstripping to cut down on noise transmission. In fact, if you screw
or nail it down, it will only get louder.

steve

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 15:25:02 -0500, The dude
wrote:

We were thinking of adding a whole house fan to our two story house.

is this something that is normally DIY? Assuming I can run the power
myself.

Is there a typical installation location? Can this be installed in the
attic access hole? Assuming I will only need access to work on things
in the attic - not to store stuff.

Anyone have one and think it is a waste?

A common area is the upper floor hallway or in the ceiling of an
attached garage. Best to have a separate access hole and attic
fan--House fans should be secured into the joists to prevent vibration
issues. I have one and installed a timer wall switch. Nice to have
2 or 3 speeds. This is a good DIY project. The louvered cover cost
was somewhat expensive, about the price of the fan itself, but you
need a good one that seals to block out drafts and stop insects.