Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker DLT Steve Barker DLT is offline

Default Adding whole house fan

The main thing to consider is the exhaust area in the attic. You'll need
TEN (10) Square feet of exhaust area for a 30" fan. Bigger fan, even more
area. And yes, the upstairs hallway is a common place for a fan. You'll
need to cut at least one ceiling joist and box in the area. The electrical
is really the simple part. And yes, you can leave the fan just sitting on
the newly created box you've framed in and that can be your attic access.

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
We were thinking of adding a whole house fan to our two story house.

is this something that is normally DIY? Assuming I can run the power
myself.

Is there a typical installation location? Can this be installed in the
attic access hole? Assuming I will only need access to work on things in
the attic - not to store stuff.

Anyone have one and think it is a waste?