Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Code question on generator grounding

wrote:
I will be installing a standby generator located about 50 ft. from the
grounding rod for my house. If I ground the generator only in main panel,
then there is a possibility that the generator frame will be at a slightly
different potential than the adjacent earth on which someone touching the
generator may be standing. If I install a ground rod at the generator
location, then I will be introducing a ground loop with its associated
problems.

How, according to the NEC, should the generator be grounded? Please
provide a code reference (or quote) if you can.

Many thanks for any help.

I wrestled with this about a decade ago and at that time couldn't find a
clear reference in the NEC. The intent of the NEC seemed to too
establish a good single point ground at the entrance panel/meter base.
I did this with two ground rods (10 ft as I recall) at the mater
base. The run to the entrance panel is about 15 ft further inside my
basement. I have six subpanels, and none of these are grounded...all
neutrals tie back to the entrance panel.

My generator is located at the other end of my house, about 150 ft away.
I have a 10 ft ground rod at the generator to which the generator is
connected and a single #4 stranded copper wire, perhaps 200 ft long,
buried along the perimeter of the basement that bonds this ground rod to
the two ground rods at the meter base. At the time I did this I felt
that I was in compliance with the NEC (although today I can't cite a
specific reference.)