Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
krw[_3_] krw[_3_] is offline

Default Garage door openers

In article , "
Frank" x says...

2) Whats the dependability of Liftmasters in general? Between screw
drive, chain drive & belt drive which is the best and most relieable?
I only have experience with screw drives.

I've replaced my Genies with the belt drive Liftmasters. I have four new
belt drive Liftmasters, one with battery backup. Quiet and smooth, one
remote controls three different units. I had chain, screw and belt drives
over the years on multiple properties. Chain drives are PIA, low end units
that needs constant adjustment and I wouldn't buy another one again. I never
had a screw mechanism broke, but my Genie belt broke after 17 years.
Installed a new belt and good for another 5 years before the motor burn out.

I've had numerous chain units and have never had to adjust them. I
had one fail after 15 years, thought the failure wasn't in the
mechanics. It was easier to replace than repair because all the
electronics had to be changed anyway (FCC thing).

My old 1/2hp screw drive Genie seems stronger than my new 1/2hp Liftmaster
belt drive, but I still like the Liftmaster better. My other belt drive
Liftmaster with the battery backup is 3/4hp. Also have one screw drive
Liftmaster and its working well after 4 years.

I have a Limaster now. I have to find accessories for it (entry
keypad, etc.).

--
Keith