Posted to alt.home.repair
Ball of Fluff Ball of Fluff is offline

Default Dog eating house

"K" wrote in message
We're in the process of having the exterior of this old place redone. I'd
hired a painter, who needed a carpenter to replace 'a few rotten corner
boards'.

Well, this has led to a major replacement of siding, plywood, and some
framing due to both wet rot and carpenter ants. Unfortunately, this place
was built in the early 1960s, without the benefit of modern things like
house wrap.

Long story short, the carpenter recommended cedar as a deterrant to things
like bugs, and we've gone with that. The siding is cedar clapboard
anyhow.

Our dog, a seven-month old Golden, seems to have taken a liking to cedar
as a snack, and is gnawing on new boards already. As a younger pup, she
gnawed on some chair rungs and the like, but nothing serious. Now I'm
concerned, not just about the expense of replacing things again soon, but
about the health of the dog. This is freshly painted wood, primed with
stain and finished with latex.

It can't be good for her, yet keeping her totally away from the house is
out of the question. The painter suggested the clear-plastic corner
protectors until she grows out of it. I've never seen the dog give
plastic a second look, so that's not a bad idea, but I'm seeking others
short of putting a 'return to sender' tag on the dog and hooking her to
the mailbox.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

There are probably various solutions but when a horse eats its stall, that
is generally caused by a vitamin deficiency. Could be something like that re
the dog.

I would get him some dog multivitamins and examine his diet. The other
solutions such as putting something distasteful on the wood have probably
already been covered elsewhere in this thread.

Claire and John