Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Question

"Flatus Johnson" fj@nonet wrote in message
. ..
"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
. ..
My wife plugged an extension cord with two items (a lamp and an alarm
clock) into an available slot on a surge protector, which is then plugged
into an outlet. The surge protector already had three other items
plugged into it.

As a result, the upper socket on that outlet and an adjacent outlet have
no power, but the lower socket has power. Turning the breaker off and on
did not help. The other outlets in the room are fine.

Is this a simple case of going to the hardware store and buying two
replacement outlets, or could it be something else? Why would the lower
socket on an outlet work but not the upper?

Upper outlets sometimes controlled by a wall switch for turning lamp
on/off while lower one is always live.

Sorry all. I guess I'm an idiot for not noticing that my wife had turned
the wall switch off. Thanks for reminding me to check this. That was all.
No problem.