Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Dog eating house

Claude Hopper wrote:
K wrote:
We're in the process of having the exterior of this old place redone. I'd
hired a painter, who needed a carpenter to replace 'a few rotten corner
boards'.

Well, this has led to a major replacement of siding, plywood, and some
framing due to both wet rot and carpenter ants. Unfortunately, this place
was built in the early 1960s, without the benefit of modern things like
house wrap.

Long story short, the carpenter recommended cedar as a deterrant to things
like bugs, and we've gone with that. The siding is cedar clapboard anyhow.

Our dog, a seven-month old Golden, seems to have taken a liking to cedar as
a snack, and is gnawing on new boards already. As a younger pup, she gnawed
on some chair rungs and the like, but nothing serious. Now I'm concerned,
not just about the expense of replacing things again soon, but about the
health of the dog. This is freshly painted wood, primed with stain and
finished with latex.

It can't be good for her, yet keeping her totally away from the house is out
of the question. The painter suggested the clear-plastic corner protectors
until she grows out of it. I've never seen the dog give plastic a second
look, so that's not a bad idea, but I'm seeking others short of putting a
'return to sender' tag on the dog and hooking her to the mailbox.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Keith

Get rid of the mutt or take some lessons from Cesar Millan, the dog
whisperer. You are obviously not the pack leader.

Oh but the dog is sooo cute and smart and just like a person...

There is a local dog trainer who is very much like Cesar Millan. He
knows how to read dogs and knows that they aren't human and while they
are smart they have just enough brain power to be a dog. He says the
most frustrating thing about doing what he does is people just don't get
the idea that the dog knows what to do and the owner needs to be trained
to understand the dog. He says people will call and actually ask if they
can drop their dog off for training and pick it up when he is done.