Posted to alt.home.repair
The dude The dude is offline

Default Suggestions for working on Roof - fixing issues

Colbyt wrote:
"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
Since the bathroom is large with a tub and shower and will be the most
used, I want to add a higher end remote fan type installation vented
through the roof. How hard is it to poke through the roof and make sure
the shingles and sealing are ok? Is this a DIY job?

I can't see the other stuff to understand the exact problem. For example,
how will you remove the felt paper without removing the cap and vent. Did
the morons even cut back the sheathing under the paper?

Installing a new roof vent is simple if you follow the directions. The
flashing for the vent tucks under the shingles to the side and top providing
a very good seal on most roofs. A portion of the shingle under the flashing
may or may not need to be removed depending on the size of the vent.

In a retro install you may need to silicone the nail heads on the lower
portion of the flashing if you can not raise the shingle tabs high enough to
nail under them which is the way it is done in a fresh install.

Colbyt

The sheathing was cut correct.
It was just when the black paper was rolled that it was not cut away