Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Bad DLP Ballast?

I have not worked on your model of set, but from past expeience I
found that a defective lamp can damage the ballast, and or the
starter. A defecive ballast can also cause a lamp failure.

In many systems the starter is part of the ballast supply.

Jerry G.

--

You may end up having to change the two together to fis this problem.

Jerry G.

__

Chris F. wrote:
Me again with this miserable Zenith DLP TV. I made a post about this about
a month ago regarding lamp replacement, I was able to do it successfully and
returned it to the customer. A few weeks later the customer brought it back,
this time with a different symptom; the set tries to power but makes a
buzzing sound, and shuts off.
With the front cover removed, I soon saw the source of the buzzing sound.
A small round white component off the HV transformer (looks something like a
large diode) lights up bright blue appearing to arc internally. The lamp
does not power up at all. I checked the lamp and it is fine, so at this
point I'm suspecting a bad ballast...... but with replacements costing up to
$200, I sure hope it isn't.
Thanks for any advice.