Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:02:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

wrote:

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal low-risk
births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to hospital
taken into account.

Bollox of course it isnt, you have no access to back up facilities. You are
simply a potencial burden to the ambulance service.

She said "based on statistics". Challenge her to produce the statistics,
and produce some of your own if you like, but please don't swear at her and
wave around your unsubstantiated saloon-bar "obvious innit" type excuse
for an argument.

It's quite possible that for those who choose home births the experience
is less stressful than hospital based delivery and that the reduced stress
results in fewer complications and therefore reduced burden to the NHS,
and that this more than compensates for the increased burden of
ambulancing to hospital the few that do have complications. I'm not saying
this is the case - this is, if you like, my own "obvious
innit" pseudo-argument - but I'm suggesting that it's a real possibility
that voluntary homebirths are a net benefit to the NHS in terms of
resources.

For what it's worth if we had had for our first sprog the midwives who
attended at the second we might well have had a homebirth first time round
and not needed to be blue+2ed to hospital when SO went very
suddenly into labour.

That you are getting the extra attention you crave. Never mind the
extra cost to all of us via the NHS.

Ad hominen attack.

Plonk!

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that