Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old manhole cover rating

It happens that Phil L formulated :
robert wrote:
I am trying to find out what the load rating of an old cast iron
manhole cover marked:

24 x 18 BSS 02 26 GF

is ?

The size is obvious but cant find any reference to old BS standards.

It has been damaged by a contractor and there is a "dispute" about
what loading/grade they should replace it with !
Thanks

The cheapest galvanised ones from B&Q are 2T rated, IE rated to carry 2
tonnes, more than enough for a domestic drive

I bought 2x 2tonne rated ones to put in my drive and they buckled just
with the weight of my car. The local supplier had recommended them as
suitable, so I had him come round to inspect them. He agreed to swap
both for 4tonne rated ones which have been fine.

I'm not sure how the rating is calculated, but I suspect it is for a
distributed load rating rather than a point loading as you might get
with a car tyre in the middle of it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)