Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] n0tail@yahoo.com is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

On 7 Sep, 17:22, Lobster wrote:
wrote:
a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout
b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)
c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.
d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

But the thing is, all the above (except possibly 'a' and 'e', if valid)
are about the mother's feelings/emotions/happiness etc; and nothing to
do with the prime aim, which IMHO should be to end up with a healthy and
undamaged mother and baby. *On balance, I can't accept that this is more
likely to happen with a homebirth than a hospital-based one.

As I have heard an obstetrician say (not to an impending mother, I have
to add), "what does she want from this, a wonderful experience or a
healthy baby?"

David

I'll let the "if valid" comment pass!

I think the point is that it is difficult to distinguish between the
two and medical intervention doesn't always end up with a healthier
'undamaged' mum and baby, the decisions made during labour often
aren't clear-cut. The "mother's feelings/emotions/happiness etc"
inseperable from the desired result of "a healthy and
undamaged mother and baby". There are physiological / hormonal factors
that affect the birth process (and therefore the end result of health
mother and baby) as well as ability to successfully feed, bond etc.
For example, travelling to hospital and going through the admission
process does sometimes cause labour to slow or even stop, maybe due to
stress - not sure but it's a fact, so labour stopping / slowing could
lead to induction which could lead to epidural / forceps / ventouse /
episiotomy / distressed baby. I'm not saying that would always happen
but it can and does and it's a good example of a scenario where things
are likely to have gone much better at home if that's what the mother
preferred.

Also, are you implying that if pain relief doesn't contribute to a
heathy mum or baby, women shouldn't be offered it? All pain relief
comes with risks (ironically, apart from the use of water!).

I'm not looking for a 'fun experience' here, of course I want a
healthy baby, it's my belief that this is the right way for me.

jb.