Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Dog eating house

On Sep 6, 5:40*pm, "K" wrote:
We're in the process of having the exterior of this old place redone. *I'd
hired a painter, who needed a carpenter to replace 'a few rotten corner
boards'.

Well, this has led to a major replacement of siding, plywood, and some
framing due to both wet rot and carpenter ants. *Unfortunately, this place
was built in the early 1960s, without the benefit of modern things like
house wrap.

Long story short, the carpenter recommended cedar as a deterrant to things
like bugs, and we've gone with that. *The siding is cedar clapboard anyhow.

Our dog, a seven-month old Golden, seems to have taken a liking to cedar as
a snack, and is gnawing on new boards already. *As a younger pup, she gnawed
on some chair rungs and the like, but nothing serious. *Now I'm concerned,
not just about the expense of replacing things again soon, but about the
health of the dog. *This is freshly painted wood, primed with stain and
finished with latex.

It can't be good for her, yet keeping her totally away from the house is out
of the question. *The painter suggested the clear-plastic corner protectors
until she grows out of it. * I've never seen the dog give plastic a second
look, so that's not a bad idea, but I'm seeking others short of putting a
'return to sender' tag on the dog and hooking her to the mailbox.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Keith

Seven month old Golden's are both very social and fairly active. He
needs more walks and to go out and see things. As some one else said,
he's bored. Give him something more interesting to do.

Meanwhile, have your old paint checked for lead. It is has some, have
your dog tested.

You only other option is a shock collar. But walks are a better
alternative.