Fred McClellan

Default Jointer question

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:14:39 -0700, "Kevin P. Fleming"
wrote:

Fred McClellan wrote:

Read the book (such as it is), jumped through the hoops to check the
blades, and had to shim the output table so it was flat and even with
the input table when the cutter is cranked down below zero.

And then you raised the outfeed table, right? If not, you left both
tables parallel and then raised the cutter... that would be bad. You
basically have a power planer in that configuration, not a jointer.

Uh . . . maybe I didn't do a good job explaining what was wrong.

When I got the jointer, the outfeed table was not flat with respect to
the infeed table when the infeed table was all the way up. I know I
said "when the cutter is cranked down below zero".

Dyslexic lips, y'know. I was looking at the depth of cut scale and
thinking about the cutters, not the infeed table which is what moves
up and down.

The outfeed table, and the top of the knives, need to be slightly
above the infeed table... most I've heard say 1/32" or so should be
plenty, although if you are working with an easy-to-cut wood and have
a lot to take off to get it straight you could probably set it at 1/16".

It is now, except when the infeed table is cranked up to zero, above
the cutters.
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com