Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

wrote:

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout
b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)
c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.
d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

But the thing is, all the above (except possibly 'a' and 'e', if valid)
are about the mother's feelings/emotions/happiness etc; and nothing to
do with the prime aim, which IMHO should be to end up with a healthy and
undamaged mother and baby. On balance, I can't accept that this is more
likely to happen with a homebirth than a hospital-based one.

As I have heard an obstetrician say (not to an impending mother, I have
to add), "what does she want from this, a wonderful experience or a
healthy baby?"

David