Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default free.binaries.picture.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:16:08 -0500, "Joe" wrote:

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 12:43 pm, "Joe" wrote:
What kind of NG is this? I never see anything posted there.
Thanks
try "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking"

I can't get it. I have AT&T DSL.

Me too. ABPW is toast due to kiddie porn (or more profit). People
are beginning to use sites like flickr to post pictures.

Unfortunately, the rest of the (uncensored) world will continue
sharing their images on a.b.p.w

Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Personally I never much liked using USENET for binaries. Very clumsy
solution. Flickr is free, retention is "as long as flickr stays in
business", posting a photo automatically creates thumbnails in several
sizes (very handy for those who don't have broadband--they can get a
look and decide whether it's something they want _before_ they
download the whole monstrous thing), there's only a single image
format to deal with, the images are linkable, so one can include a
direct link in one's post rather than having to say "check APBW", you
can include keywords and titles, and whatnot and organize your images
by named sets, with all that, why dink around with a binaries
newsgroup?

And I'm not saying that because I don't get binaries, I've been using
Newsguy for years and Newguy most assuredly carries binaries
(furthermore, they upgraded their server capacity considerably a
couple of days ago).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)