Posted to soc.culture.usa,rec.woodworking,news.groups,alt.feminism
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default McCain/Palin 2008!

charlieb wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

We need a change in the financing of compaigns, for su donations
allowed ONLY from registered voters, in amounts of $1,000 or under.
Double donating gets the second check/MO/cash confiscated.

How about something simple.

1. If you can't vote for the person you're giving money to
for his/her campaign - you can't give him/her ANY money.

That eliminates Corporate Donations, PAC donations, Lobbyist
donations, Special Interest Groups donations, etc.

This all sounds nicely democratic. The trouble is that it takes away
several of the most powerful tools available to minorities and "the
little guy" to protect their interests.

2. You cannot donate more than - oh lets say - $5K total to
any single candidate - that you can vote for.

Now if we can somehow change the latest Supreme Court Ruling
that says Money = Speech and limiting political contributions
is limiting "free speech" . . . The iron of "free" in "free
speech" being the same as Mo' Money! still astounds me. But
that's just one example of some pretty convoluted legal
"reasoning" we've encountered over the last 8 years.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)