Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

Tanner-'op wrote:

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal
low-risk births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to
hospital taken into account.

Bollox of course it isnt, you have no access to back up facilities.
You are simply a potencial burden to the ambulance service.

What about you then Dave - a die hard smoker? There are more
deaths/problems from lung cancer caused by smoking than home births -
so that make you a "potencial (sic) burden" not only to ambulance
service, but also to the various departments of the local hospital
for many years!

But my early death will save a fortune on pensions & care.

Obviously hospital is needed in some situations
but these things rarely happen suddenly without warning. This is my
fourth baby but first home birth. First three very straight-forward
but hospital was just a really unpleasant experience for me, I
really want the full attention of a midwife and to be in my own
relaxing surroundings. The only differences for me will be...

That you are getting the extra attention you crave. Never mind the
extra cost to all of us via the NHS.

What about you and that filthy smoking habit you have getting the
attention that you crave of the NHS? - Not to mention your kids
passive smoking as well!

I don't crave the attention of the NHS, in fact I'd like them to leave me
alone & stop lecturing me. My kids don't passive smoke, they don't live at
home.

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout

But not the attention of a fully staffed NHS unit with access to
every possible resoursce you might need.

But surely the lady is saving the NHS some cash?

Unless a problem occurs.

b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)

And its 'trendy'. You have endless material to bore the arse off
people at dinner parties when you talk about your 'birthing
experience'.

A bit like you and the not so subliminal span in this group for the
Medway Handyman "look how good *I* am, after all I'm "recommended" by
trading standards" - now whose a "boring" *and* arrogant b****rd?

Why would I want to spam a DIY group, most of whom live well away from my
operating area.? And I don't use the sig that mentions trading standards
anymore.

c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.

But if anything goes toes up you cause the NHS sh*t loads of extra
time & expense.

Lets see what extra time and expense you are going to cause in the
future with that smoking habit of yours.

Smokers are less of a burden, we contribute between 5 & 7 times what it
costs the NHS to treat us. One of the highest tobacco taxes in the world

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk