Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default installing connectors on RG-6?

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Thank you! that looks like that might help a bit. I'll have to check and
see if I can pick one of those up locally, if not, thanks for the link.

Additionally, I was just looking at the links I posted in my last post.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/s...17_pss_aen.pdf
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/s...17_pss_aen.pdf

It looks like the pic of the cable with the assembled connectors has some
kind of plastic seal at the back of the connector. Neither the connectors
that came with the installation tool or the ones that I bought separately
(which appear to be exactly the same) have this seal. Did I buy the wrong
connectors?

thanks

nate

dicko wrote:
There is a tool that makes it real easy to slide on the connectors it
sort of expands the shield and separates it from the center insulator.
I use one and have no problems. It also helps, if after stripping the
coax, if there is any braid sticking out, to bend it back over the
outer insulation before putting the connector on.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index....ROD&ProdID=214

-dickm

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:57:20 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Hi,

since it's not possible to work outside today (thanks Hanna!) I gathered
up all the cable stuff I'd gathered in preparation to install a cable
outlet in the living room. Before I got started I wanted to make sure
that I'd be able to terminate the cable. Well, I can't - I'm missing
some sort of trick I guess. I'm using Philips RG-6 quad shield, Philips
weatherproof connectors (I bought those because I suspect that I will be
running cable outside eventually) and the stripper that came with a
cheap regular cable tool set. I can strip the cables OK but I can't
seem to push the connectors onto the cable at all. I have tried both
the Philips connectors and the generic connectors that came with the
cheap tool set. It's like the little round tubular bit in the connector
just won't slide under the braid in the cable. Any suggestions? IS
there another tool that grips the cable and can force the connector on?

thanks

nate

The connectors in the links are compression type. It sounds like you have
crimp type

actually the connectors in the links and the connectors I bought have
the same part number. I didn't realize until you pointed it out that
the picture of the connector was different than what I have. Maybe
they've improved the design? I dunno. I bought all this stuff at
Lowe's as the real supply house only keeps normal business hours, don't
know how quick it turns over there.

nate