Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Dog eating house

"K" wrote

Our dog, a seven-month old Golden, seems to have taken a liking to cedar
as a snack, and is gnawing on new boards already. As a younger pup, she
gnawed on some chair rungs and the like, but nothing serious. Now I'm
concerned, not just about the expense of replacing things again soon, but
about the health of the dog. This is freshly painted wood, primed with
stain and finished with latex.

It can't be good for her, yet keeping her totally away from the house is
out of the question. The painter suggested the clear-plastic corner
protectors until she grows out of it. I've never seen the dog give
plastic a second look, so that's not a bad idea, but I'm seeking others
short of putting a 'return to sender' tag on the dog and hooking her to
the mailbox.

Grin, use the plastic and then get some of that 'doggie go way' spray (they
even sell ones for outside that are rain resistant) and coat the ground in
that area (not the wood, may stain).

You are right, it's not good for her. Until the plastic stuff gets there,
use the spray.

If you need something *now* and do not mind the loss of the grass (it will
grow back later after about 2 months), pour straight vinegar all over the
ground about 2ft out and soaking as much as possible. Most dogs dislike the
smell of it.

This is guaranteed to kill your grass and probably anything else green
within a 2-3 ft radius so make your choices wisely.

An alternative is ammonia, but this may damage the paint and you'd have to
get it on the wood. This will make the dog pee on that corner. He will not
however chew on it if it's where he pees ;-)