Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Roland HP-860 electronic piano has HUM

"Archon" wrote in message
m...
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"Josh9.0" wrote in message
No I haven't!
Thanks for the tip, and thanks for the quick reply!
I'll go and try it now.
It has a bunch of different voltages out, and they're labelled on the
PCB!
I guess I should look for ripple on what should be DC, right??
Then trace it back to the offending cap(s).
Then go buy some new ones of those only.

BTW: It has a main voltage going to all the keys of 46V which measures
43V.

You seem to be jumping to lots of conclusions for no apparent reason.
This is not going to help you.

What's with this "offending caps" businsess? You seem to have decided
there is a cap problem and replacing them will be the solution.
Stop guessing, it will get you nowhere.

You need to investigate and gather information. You start with the power
supplies, If they are OK then you look elsewhere.

Gareth.

Thats because searching for any electronics problem on google comes up
with "check all the electrolytics", ESR is the new religion. I get so many
people bringing stuff to me saying, hey its probably a cap, you got an ESR
meter?, can't be more than 10 bucks to fix. Yeah right. A little bit of
knowledge can be dangerous. Good luck to the OP, with a scope should be an
easy fix.

ESR is not a religion, it's a fact of life which, if you are a professional
repair technician as your post suggests you might be, you must very well
know ...

Although of course not all, many faults these days are indeed due to
electrolytic caps with a poor ESR. They are the single component which I,
and everybody else I know in the business, change more of per week, than any
other.

That said, in this OP's case, the problem could easily be a leaky diode in
the PSU, or something which may be a deal more difficult to pin down, such
as a bad inter-board ground. The age of it would suggest a cap might be a
firm first favourite though.

Arfa