Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default O/T: Discussion of qualifications

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Agreed, most ear marks could stand a little more time in the light of
day.

That sentiment is echoed in today's Des Moines Register on page 6A, where
the normally slightly-right-of-center newspaper had a list of
not-quite-factual Palin statements including:

8 ----------
Palin: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ...
and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress."

The Facts: As mayer of Wasilla [population 6375], Palin hired a lobbyist
and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town
totaling $27 million.

Isn't that part the Mayor's job and a very basic Mayor responsibility to get
funding for their own town? And you know these were wasteful because?

In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested
nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest
per-capita request in the nation.
---------- 8

Sunshine is good!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

And these requests were important because? Alaska is a very unique place in
light of significant energy and other natural resource production. Its
proximity to Russia, it long border with Canada. The current oil production
and the 40 billion dollar natural gas pipeline will significantly impact the
lower 48 states. I don't think per capita federal spending is a significant
barometer of much of anything. Rod