Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Any jewelers here that can do 4 axis work on titanium rings?

Wes wrote:

That would make a nice ring. I bought a plain ring, nice and thick, wanted it to last.
Ring did, marriage didn't and now I don't have a clue where the ring is. Strange how gold
has no value sometimes.

Sold my old wedding band, 1/5 of an ounce of 14k gold, only
got $40 scrap value. Wasn't worth wasting a couple hours to
try and get a few more dollars out of it. I'd decided not to
try and recycle the gold into a new ring. New wife, new metal.

Nice thought about the infinity symbol though. Tried to do an alt code 236 but Agent did
not like it. I hope you manage to wear down the symbol in a long and happy marriage.

Started off wanting a Claddagh ring, she's of Gaelic decent.
But with the price of gold, lordy, even basic rings are
bloody expensive. Started looking around, and found some
rings with the infinity symbol and decided I liked that.
Then started thinking about making them and remembered the
Ti stock.

This is sorta funny, I have my ring almost sized. As I was
whittling out the ID, I'd radius the corner a bit with a
scraper, and test. When I finally got close enough to slide
it all the way on, I thought "no, need another .010 or so"
and started to twist it off. OUCH! Yep, I'd forgotten to
deburr the back side and I had a nice annular razor blade
cutting into my finger. First thought was a trip to the ER
to have it cut off before realizing I could do it here. But
some lube and rocking it while pulling skin from the other
side, I finally got it back off. Whew... Be a few days
before the cuts heal enough I can resume sizing.

I know some folks here have done rotary axis milling on
rings, I'm sure hoping one of them catches this thread and
have an interest in taking on the job of milling them for me.

Thanks for the well wishes, this one will last or I wouldn't
be doing it!

Jon