Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

dadiOH wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

Very interesting. Where on the fan was the oil cup? Maybe I just
haven't recognized them.

In the portion that contains the switch. The wires ran downward thru
a pipe to isolate them from the oil. The whole thing unscrewed if
needed (after disconnecting wires at ceiling).

As someone said, there was a filler hole in the upper part of the
bell shaped motor housing....tip the fan, add oil until it runs out
the top of the cup. To check oil level, stick a pipe cleaner or
similar down the side of the cup. I haven't added any oil for at
least 10 years to my 32 year old fans.

OK, I feel better. I was afraid I'd been missing something and advising
clients poorly. My guess is that oil cups are mostly on older fans. I
have seen exactly one of those, and the job on that one was replacement
due to complete failure.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement