Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Multimeter Ohms

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:14:09 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message

Is it telling me it measures .5 x 2000 = 1000 ohms? If not, what?

Being as it's digital, shouldn't it report actual integer ohms? More
expensive MM's do this?

More expensive units (such as those made by Fluke) are auto-ranging and thus
show exact values. They are $150+ though.

Thanks. I thought as much.

Take a resistor of known value and hook it up to your meter, then find out
what it shows. You have just trained yourself.

Aside from simple continuity, I need to test resistance maybe once a
year in my little DIY world. The MM has maybe 5 ranges. I dunno I
have resistors of known value.

Peetie

Hi,
El cheapo DVMs are not as accurate (uncalibrated when it left factory).
I bought a good used Fluke and it'll last my life time with reliable
service. I still have old Simpson 260 which I am taking with me to our
cabin to trouble shoot electric hot water tank problem. There are times
analog meter is more useful. Oh, I am taking digital clamp amprobe as
well with built in temperature probe. No matter what tool one uses, s/he
has to know how to use it and what s/he is doing with it.
Anyone remember old RCA Ohmyst VTVM? I got one of that too in perfect
working order. Good for RF measurement. I have some tektronic scopes as
well. But digital Fluke scope is fine for most works.