Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Differentiated thought update

wrote in news:5259520b-3885-439c-9659-9b4cbba23dcd@
2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

I am convinced that people, given a choice between low price low
quality goods vs good quality fair priced goods would evaluate this at
least subconsciously and make the appropriate decision. Sometimes it
may indeed be in favour of low-cost low price, eg. brushes to clean
machinery. But a wire brush in regular workshop usage would warrant a
good quality purchase.

Most seem to be members of the "Throwaway Society" - get it cheap, use it
only a few times for a specific job, then throw it away in the full
knowledge that, soon enough, they'll have to get another one, use it a few
times, then throw it away.

They also view people the same way.

If it's something that I don't already have on hand, unlikely to ever be
needed once a specific project is completed, and I'm not that sure that I'd
be using it properly then I'll go cheap.

OTOH, If I have to replace it, I WON'T go cheap since, having determined
a need for [and learned the proper use of] a good one, I'll get a good
one. grin

For the most part, I consider the cheap ones to be expendable supplies
rather than tools.