Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade 2 spindle lathe preliminary results

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:50:30 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:

Another test would be to clamp a glass tube in both chucks.

I'd clamp a piece of rubber tubing in both & see if it winds up.
Bob

or a piece of stock in *each* (2 pieces) almost touching in the middle.
Make a scratch across the "joint" & see if it stays aligned.

--
Nota for President

Greetings Bob and Dan,
The glass tube idea will only work if the tube is weak enough to break
instead of forcing the spindles to keep in step. I think I have some
glass tube so maybe I'll try that. As to the rubber tubing and the
scratch I already know the spindles stay in line because of marks made
on discs at the end of each spindle. It's cool to spin one spindle
shaft by hand and watch the other keep up. It looks like the spindles
are one shaft. The discs are right next to each other with only about
..020" between the faces. So one motor spins cw while the other spins
ccw. So if the master spindle is unpowered and turned by hand the
other one keeps up perfectly. It's actually kind of creepy watching it
because I know there is no mechanical connection between the two.
Eric