Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Help Question: Electronic stethoscope danger

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 05:59:07 -0600, "WJW" wrote:

Hello...a quick question looking for a good suggestion/solution/answer,

1) I have a small rural nursing school;
2) I have a $500 electronic stethoscope (micro-battery powered) that can
hear/play/record sounds using an I-Pod by using a direct wire/plug into the
I-Pod external microphone jack;
3) I-Pod sounds are very weak and you have to be within inches to hear the sound
during playback;
4) I need a room full of 10 students to hear the sounds from the stethoscope;
5) I connected it to a wall-plug store-bought powered I-Pod speaker sound system
and it worked great...everybody in room could hear the sounds fine!;

OK, that's a solution. But don't most of those systems also have a
battery option?

6) Was then informed it could possibly be a major shock hazard (110 power from
wall through speakers to stethoscope to person wearing (ear pieces) and to
patient's chest (diaphragm);

Most hospitals have a staff who are trained to test and evaluate these
types of devices. I assume these use a wall-wart, right? Does the
wall-wart have a *real* UL label? (not a fake one!)

7) So...now I'm back to Step 1 & 2...

Any suggestions on how I could truly prevent a surge danger for under $100 bucks
so that I can safely use the stethoscope and the powered speaker system?
Would an automotive quick-jump power pack with 110 inverter work or would the
danger still be present?

Don't do this... Trust me, don't even go there. There are so many
better ways that will work well, that this is not practical in any way
or shape.

Is there really even a danger in the first place?

Possibly, especially if you are using stuff from teh likes of
WallyWorld...

Thank you very much for your wisdom, advice and expertise!

Find battery powered speakers. There are thousands of examples, and
you should have no problems finding them.

William in Colorado