Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Raising washer and dryer

"Red Green" wrote in message
Aaron Fude wrote in news:0212391f-1ed9-4083-a80f-
:

Hi,

I would like to raise my front loading washer and dryer by a
signficant amount, e.g. 30". I have an study dining table, but it
seems competely unsafe to put them on top of the table since that
would make them top heavy. However, what I were to fasten them to the
wall with some brackets, could that make it acceptable?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

A dining table is not made to support the weight of a washer + the weight
of the water + the movement of it all...then there's the dryer.
Acceptable, no IMO.

Why not just make a table/platform out of 2x4's and plywood. Fasten that
to the wall for the top heavy issue. Keep in mind that when the washer is
off balance as they do get sometimes, the wall it's attached to is gonna
some shaking. Consider bolting washer to platform top. Washers can
"walk" when they are off balance.

I would add that 2x8's be used instead of 2x4's. Make it as sturdy as the
floor it now stands on.

Tom G.