Posted to alt.home.repair
greenpjs greenpjs is offline

Default Multimeter Ohms

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:55:54 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw
wrote:

snip

If I have to place the decimal point, the reported number is -not-
the "actual resistance in numbers".

You only have to place the decimal point in the sense of knowing if it
is reading ohms or K-Ohms. I bet is says that somewhere like on the
dial or maybe a K lit up on the display.

The reported # is a scaled #. Scaled by 1000. When the scale setting
on the MM device is 2000.

2K is the max reading on that setting. It will display somewhere
between 0K and 2K. In your case, it displayed 0.5K (or 500 ohms).

The next highest setting is 200k ohms. If I measured resistance on the
same circuit, precisely what would it report? I'd test it but the
circuits are now installed where I can't get to 'em.

I will guess that it still will display 0.5, but who knows.