Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Garage door openers

On Sep 5, 9:37*am, (Rich Greenberg) wrote:
I would appreciate some opinions on garage door openers.

I presently have a genie of indeterminate age that is starting to fail.
Its a screw drive consumer model with the three part track bolted
together.

The local door service I called suggests replaceing it with a
Liftmaster, either chain or belt driven. *They tell me that the quality
of the Genie has gone down in the last few years and they no longer
carry Genie.

Questions:

1) Is the motor on the Genie (which seems to have become intermittant)
easily obtainable and easily replaceable? *Should I first replace the
starting capacitor? *It seems to start OK, raises the door a foot or two
and stops. *The adjustment for sensitivity (is that the right term) is
at max.

2) Whats the dependability of Liftmasters in general? *Between screw
drive, chain drive & belt drive which is the best and most relieable?
I only have experience with screw drives.

Thanks for you help.

--
Rich Greenberg *N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com *+ 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time. *N6LRT *I speak for myself & my dogs only. * *VM'er since CP-67

You might have 2 adjustments on the unit, force and sensivity