Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default AAW: musing about the relevance of belonging. (long)

Quite frankly, I find more information in the woodturning forums than
I do in the magazines. I belong to the AAW because it does a lot of
good thing. Reading their magazine takes all of about 20 minutes for
me to read the things that interest me.
robo hippy

On Sep 5, 7:57*am, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:40:20 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

I guess I'm just in the habit of being in the AAW, Arch...

When I joined my first turning club, membership in the AAW was part of the
joining price and I went with it..

I enjoy the articles in the magazine, but feel more and more that it's leaning
more toward carving, painting and becoming a modern art gallery that what I
consider a "wood turning" source..
I've often wondered what percentage of members/subscribers even attempt the kind
of pieces that are featured..

OTOH, I do have the AAW logo on my business card and mention being an
International member on my web site.. From clients comments, they seem impressed
by it, so I'll keep renewing my membership..

Tis the season for hurricanes and politics and I'm trying to design and
turn a Windbag. Any ideas? *I know, I know, look at a mirror, Arch!
Meanwhile I'll act the part and muse a little about AAW. zzzzzz!

I just got my AAW dues notice, $45.00 per year and a ballot with 'brag
sheets' of the six candidates for the Board. I don't know any of the
candidates, but their reasons for being on the board actually raises
questions of why I should continue to belong.

The dues include seasonal issues of "American Woodturner", a very
readable and informative magazine. Being an AAW member adds my personal
support in advancing and perpetuating organized woodturning as a hobby,
art and/or business. *Also there is the camaraderie and friendships (and
occasional turn-offs) engendered by turning clubs sponsored by AAW plus
their sponsored regional symposia and the grand, but getting too
expensive to attend, annual national conventions. *

I can comfortably afford the dues and expenses, but in my particular
situation I am questioning why I should. *I wonder if others here have
reasons of their own for speculating about beginning or continuing their
membership. *Of course, I realize that whether I continue as a member or
not is unimportant in the scale of things. That said, here's some of my
personal considerations for you to shoot down, agree with or add your
own.

For me, as to pure woodturning there's not much new under the sun. I
have made most all of the mistakes, enjoyed many minor successes and
made a lot of good friends. Now days I mostly enjoy turning whenever and
whatever I please, alone in my shop.

I am NOT antisocial, just that woodturning is not my whole life and at
my age, (nearly 88, which means 'love and kisses' in Morse code, but not
for me! 'G') *groaning back and squeaky knees, I don't care to get out
much anymore and I have no interest in the organized business of clubs.
Been there, done that and I lost my 'hero worship & adulation' a long
time ago.
The internet supplies my limited needs for personal relationships and
for 'keeping up' as much as I want to. The magazine is briefly scanned
and continues to pile up. There is a whole lot of repetition in
woodturning circles, using warmed over words and pictures. Some all too
recognizable. *

There are many reasons for organized woodturning to grow and advance,
but why should it matter to me if there are many, few or no woodturners
in the future and whether they are young or old or middle age or what
they choose to design and turn, demonstrate and write about. If the
endeavor is relevant on any level won't there be people who turn wood
with or without AAW? *I reckon less is less and more is more or is it
the other way round?
So what?

I'm often wrong. So what's your take on why you belong to AAW or not
...or don't you care? * Anyway, this musing sure took care of the few
(only 70) posts for today. *

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing