Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Rain Detector

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
OK ... went to MAPLIN web site they do sell a Velleman water detector kit,
which is totally useless ... it has a simple 2 copper wire detector ...
when it's wet it switches a single transistor to sound a buzzer ....
It will keep sounding untill it dries, which in UK Summer means battery
will not last very long.

Come on guys somebody must know of a better sensor ?

I bought a water detector in lidl about five weeks ago, they were ~£5.
Small sensor connected to a battery box with a chime/alarm in it.
I suppose it would make a rain alarm but the surface area is a bit small.
I expect it would work with a strip board wired alternately to increase the
area.
They were also marketed as bath overflow alarms so you may get something
similar in boots.

It would certainly work if you put the sensor in the gutter once the water
reached there.