Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default update to poor fuel consumption on Camper FYI

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:04:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

When you buy a second hand camper that has done a mere 23000 miles in
over ten years..its hard to tell anything about wear.

Sort of, it would still show if the previous owner habitually over or
under inflated the tyres and if the shock/brakes where knackered. I'd do
the basic check round of lights, pressures, fluids etc after taking
delivery of a new to me vehicle anyaway.

Oh, that was done by the dealer..MOT and so on..

A couple more factoids have come to light: a recommendation to change
tyres every 5 years no matter what..

I've seen that as well I think comes tyre manufactureres and fears about
UV degenerating the rubber with a good dollop of nanny state. Certainly
look at them for signs of "perishing" and it might be wise for such a
heavy vehicle to be raised on to axle stands when stood for months on end.

well I am more or less using it as - well fortnightly transport..since
the road tax situation makes it expensive to keep unused/seldom used
vehicles on the road, its getting used as a second car..insurance is
cheap too.

Tyres ARE bad,espcecially the rears..cracking and splitting at the
tread/sidewall interface.

Will definitely get a new pair soon..whats good? don't need long life,
so much as low rolling resistance :-) Think its 195/70 15s...